Your Hurricane Matthew Checklist
Hurricane Matthew is well on its way, and you don’t want to waste another moment before heading to the store or locating essential items in your home.
Many of the local grocery stores have restocked their shelves with extra food, water and other supplies that you’ll need once the storm hits Palmetto.
Here’s a helpful checklist to assist you when preparing for Hurricane Matthew.
Bottled Water: It’s recommended that you have about 20 gallons for a family of four.
Food: You’ll of course want to get lots of nonperishable canned and dry food items. Consider around 20 cans of chicken, tuna, chili and soup. Peanut butter, bread, cookies, crackers and pet food are other important food items to pick up from the store.
Important Items to Locate
- first aid kit
- can opener
- medications for your family members and pets
- flashlights or battery-operated lanterns
- batteries (make sure you have a variety of sizes for your flashlights)
- plastic cutlery and paper bowls and plates
- trash bags
- gallon-sized freezer bags to keep items dry
- important documents (insurance, Social Security cards, driver’s licenses, etc.)
Other Important To-Dos
- Fuel your cars.
- Obtain extra fuel for generators.
- Withdraw cash.
- Refill medications.
- Locate the evacuation route and local storm shelters, and go over the escape route with your family members.
- Depending on its size, store your boat at a marina or in a boatyard.
- Clear as many items as you can from your yard or patio.
While there are certainly other items you may need to add to this Hurricane Matthew preparation checklist, we hope this will get you off to a good start. Stay safe!