Top Fun and Free Things To Do In Sarasota
Fun in Sarasota doesn’t have to be expensive. In fact, many activities in Sarasota are free! Check out this extensive list below.
1. Get to the beach. Sarasota has 35 miles of beaches, all open to the public.
2. Siesta Key Drum Circle. Watch the beautiful sunset and listen to the drummers on Siesta Key Public Beach on Sunday evenings.
3. Catch a wave. North Jetty Park makes this one of the most exciting surfing beaches in Florida.
4. Tune in. Free “Summer concerts in the park” are offered throughout Sarasota County!
5. Go fly a kite on Siesta Beach. The colorful kites and powerful Gulf breeze will amaze you!
6. Appreciate the art. Admission is free on Mondays to the Ringling Museum of Art.
7. Pick a pet. Visit the Humane Society of Sarasota County and become a Match Maker, Kennel or Office Assistant, or even a Cat Cuddler.
8. A Day at the Guide Dog School. Visitors and volunteers are welcome for puppy hugging, walking, and grooming.
9. Catch a cricket game. The Sarasota International Cricket Club’s grounds are recognized as the best in the Southeast!
10. Catch a fish. Go fishing on one of Sarasota’s many fishing piers and bridges.
11. Start horsing around. At InStride Therapy for Therapeutic (Horse) Riding, volunteers are needed for numerous tasks!
12. Go to the park. Some Sarasota parks and beaches even allow pets on leashes!
13. Go bike riding in Myakka State Park.
14. Watch alligators in Oscar Scherer State Park.
15. First Friday Art Walks on Palm Avenue are filled with dining, art, and antiques.
16. Stroll Towles Court. Towles Court is a privately owned artist colony.
17. Explore fun and funky Rosemary District in Downtown Sarasota.
18. Bum Around Burns Court, a collection of 1920s bungalows.
19. Browse St. Armands Circle, a world-renowned complex with upscale clothing and jewelry stores, art galleries, and restaurants.
20. Check out Bradenton Beach’s Scenic Highway.
21. Check out the Tamiami Trail Scenic Highway.
22. Visit Mixon’s fruit farm, browse the gift shop, or walk around the grove.
23. Snag-a-tooth. The South Jetty is the shark tooth capital of the world. The fossils appear all over the beach!
24. Take a dip at Lake Manatee State Park.
25. Frolic in the Myakka State Forest.
26. Visit the Red Barn Flea Market, one of Florida’s most popular flea markets.
27. Shop the Prime Outlets in Ellenton.
28. Book’em Dano. Brant’s Books is one of Florida’s largest used, independently owned stores.
29. Relax on the North Beaches. Anna Maria Island & Bradenton area beaches often offer secluded spots with beautiful dunes.
30. Go shopping. Historic Bridge Street at Bradenton Beach on Anna Maria Island is a stunning shopping hub.
31. Keep shopping. St. Armands Circle has more than 130 fashion boutiques, cafes, restaurants, pizzerias, and art galleries.
32. Walk around Downtown Sarasota and check out the buildings on Main Street.
33. Check out Siesta Key Village for great beaches, beer, and souvenirs!
34. Shop historic Venice. Venice has many nice boutiques, gift shops, and restaurants.
35. Seek an Antique. The women’s Exchange Consignment Shop on Orange Avenue has many treasures!
36. Watch the ships sail at Marina Jacks.
37. Walk the plank at the historic Cortez Fishing Village.
38. Go to Selby Botanical Gardens, which was named one of America’s Ten Top Botanical Gardens.
39. Go fish! Charter a boat or hang out in Sarasota Bay.
40. Tee off. Although this might not be free, some Golf courses are very affordable.
And of course, once you are in Sarasota be sure to stop by the #1 luxury marina in Central Florida, Riviera Dunes Marina. With multiple slips available for rent, you will be in the safest marina possible right on the Manatee River. Contact Riviera Dunes Marina today to see just why we are the premier marina in Central Florida.