Free Fun in Sarasota and
Whether you’re vacationing here in Sarasota and Bradenton or a local to the area, knowing where to find free fun activities is always beneficial. Here are 10 free fun activities you’ll enjoy in the Sarasota and Bradenton area.
1. Enjoy a leisurely afternoon at Bayfront Park in Sarasota. In addition to the breeze you’ll encounter from the Sarasota Bay, the whole family will enjoy fishing, a play fountain and a fitness walking area. Bring a picnic, and settle in for a serene afternoon at the park.
2. Groove with the drum circles on the beach. Did you know that drum circles regularly gather on Siesta Key Beach and Nokomis Beach? On Sunday evenings at Siesta Key and on Wednesdays and Saturdays at Nokomis, sit back and enjoy this unique show.
3. Brush up on your skills at North Port Skate Park. If you have a skateboard, bike or inline skates, you won’t want to miss our local skate park complete with jumps, rails, ramps and bowls.
4. Dive into the Florida Maritime Museum. The past comes alive in this 1912 Schoolhouse, where you can learn about those who lived in Cortez, a historic fishing village. The museum’s hours are Tuesday–Saturday, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
5. Picnic along the beaches of “old Florida.” Guarded by tall pine trees, a trip to Coquina Beach is like stepping back in time. Picture-esque and serene, it’s the perfect place for a simple picnic or grilling out; just bring your supplies in a cooler, and you’re set to dine in a piece of paradise.
6. Channel your inner artist in Bradenton. In the Village of the Arts, immerse yourself in this creative community during their monthly Artwalk. Hosted on the first Friday evening and Saturday afternoon of each month, enjoy live music, galleries and other free fun surprises.
7. Take your pups to the only pet-friendly beach in the county. At Brohard Paw Park in Venice, your pup can freely roam the beach. You’ll be happy to know there are also dog-friendly drinking fountains and showers as well as leash posts. The park’s hours are 7 a.m. to dusk, daily.
8. Search for prehistoric sharks’ teeth. Did you know that Venice is known as the “shark’s tooth capital of the world”? Local or not, visitors flood to Caspersen Beach for these fossilized treasures on its shores.
9. Live music on Lakewood Ranch Main Street. Groove to the tunes of live music at Music on Main, held on the first Friday of every month from 6–9 p.m. From 60s to Motown, your ears will always be in for a surprise! Don’t forget your lawn chairs and leashed furry friends.
10. Get outside and bike through nature. Both scenic and rural, bikers will enjoy the Legacy Trail full of foliage and pastureland, as well as local neighborhoods. From its beginning at Sarasota to Venice, it’s about a 10-mile adventure.
Next: Fall Events Near Bradenton