Boating safety awareness is extremely important. In 2019 alone, there were 58 boating accidents and 65 fatalities in Florida. You don’t want to end up in a boating accident that could’ve been prevented. So, what can you do as Memorial Day approaches? Stay vigilant, practice patience, and be smart.
The leading cause of boating accident fatalities is drowning, according to the 2019 Boating Accident Statistic Report. In order to combat this preventable type of death, always wear a lifejacket.
Some other valuable safety tips include:
- Maintain 360-degree awareness at all times
- Know the dangers and penalties for driving a boat while under the influence
- After swimming, count your passengers to account for everyone before starting the engine
- Carry a first aid kit, a toolkit, a fire extinguisher, flotation devices, and radio devices onboard
- Always check the weather before you leave the dock
- Develop a float plan and always tell someone on land where you’re going and how long you’ll be gone
Check out MyFWC.com/Boating for even more boating safety tips. To report people who are boating dangerously, call 888-404-FWCC (3922).